[nsp] NPE-G1 Processor

Streiner, Justin streiner at stargate.net
Mon Apr 12 17:25:10 EDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Lupi, Guy wrote:
> > I am looking for opinions on this processor, I have several 7507s with RSP4s
> > and VIP2-50s out there that only have a single GE, single OC3 and a couple
> > of FastEthernet interfaces on them that I want to replace with a box that
> > takes up less real estate.  How does the NPE-G1 perform under heavy load?  I
> > need it to be able to withstand the occasional DoS attack so it would have
> > to be able to process about 200,000 PPS without crashing.
>
> cisco claims 1mpps for the NPE-G1. dont know what conditions though.

The numbers Cisco publishes in their marketing literature tend to be from
"best case" tests, such as a minimal network surrounding the device,
optimal configuration, packet sizes/types optimized to best suit the
throughput of the device being measured, etc.

In Cisco's defense, it's tougher to produce 'real-world' PPS numbers and
have them be applicable to anything but a small cross-section of their
customers' implementations because of the huge number of different
variables that go into a typical network build.

All of that having been said, we sustained a DoS several months ago, maybe
120kpps.  An NPE-G1-equipped router with a couple of gig-e/fast-e/DS3
ports and several full BGP feeds choked up pretty heavily under the load.
I don't recall the exact characteristics of the attack, but I remember
being somewhat underwhelmed by the G1's ability to stand up to it.

jms