[nsp] Router for a route server/reflector?

Anton Yurchenko phila at cascopoint.com
Wed Apr 14 21:34:37 EDT 2004

Matthew Crocker wrote:

>> I'm running a 120+ peers exchange point and I'm using zebra/quagga. The
>> reason is because it's cheaper and more flexible (transparent AS).
>>

> Have you experienced any compatibility issues with zebra/quagga?  Are
> you worried about a higher failure rate on a unix system due to moving
> parts (Hard drive)?  What type CPU/memory are you eating up with 120
> peers?

If you plan on runnig it all on unix, best of all is to get flash memory
drive with an IDE interface, they cost about the same as plain flash
memory cards for digital cameras.  You could fit a minimum and secure
linux with lots of features(QoS, nice firewall, IPsec) on 32meg, but
it`ll be a bit tight, better go for 64 or more. Never seen them fail,
just watch out for power supply failure, dont skim on any hardware. At
the end a good 1u server with all the nice components will set you back
around 800-900$, so a used 2600 is a viable competitor.
As for 2600 I`ve seen it as a route-reflector for 40 something peers and
about 450 prefixes, all was well.  It had 32meg RAM, dont remember how
much of it was used, should not be alot, maybe 15-20%