[nsp] Router for a route server/reflector?

Arnold Nipper arnold at nipper.de
Thu Apr 15 03:34:42 EDT 2004

On 15.04.2004 03:10 Matthew Crocker wrote:

>>I'm running a 120+ peers exchange point and I'm using zebra/quagga. The
>>reason is because it's cheaper and more flexible (transparent AS).
>>

> Have you experienced any compatibility issues with zebra/quagga?  Are
> you worried about a higher failure rate on a unix system due to moving
> parts (Hard drive)?  What type CPU/memory are you eating up with 120
> peers?

I've had no problem regarding compatibility. Runs fine with C and J. I
was running zebra on Solaris/Sparc first which turned out to be too
slow. I have a dual set up

rs1 quagga 0.96.4, Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 1GB RAM, ~80MB
memory usage
rs2 zebra 0.94, Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 1GB RAM, ~90MB memory
usage

rs2 is running full as-path and prefix lists (~ 100k lines of config)
whereas rs1 is only doing as-path lists. Both are pretty stable. The
servers are running in dual set up, with two disks each (raid). Though
fromn theory cause of moving parts this is not an issue for me.

I like zebra/quagga because it is more powerfull esp. regarding
routeserver issues (e.g. transparent features).

Arnold