[nsp] RIP Update - excessive CPU

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Apr 20 11:31:12 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 09:22:07AM -0400, Jeffrey Wheat wrote:
> The problem is that once a week or so the CPU on the router spikes
> and once it hits 99% it pretty much stays there until the router is
> reloaded. During this time, my BGP session to WilTel has been reset
> and RIB Update runs between 40% and 60% and never stablizes which
> forces me to reload the router. I have heard from others that they
> had cpu load issues when connected to WilTel.

Guessing: this could be due to excessive numbers of BGP updates coming from
WilTel.  A possible reason could be a setup problem in there that causes
route ping-pong between alternate paths that gets reflected in ever-changing
eBGP metrics.

Diagnosing this is hairy, though.  One would need to compare the number
of incoming BGP messages to "other" upstream ISPs, and then debug into
more detail to figure out what's happening.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de