[nsp] RIP Update - excessive CPU

Jeffrey Wheat jeff at cetlink.net
Tue Apr 20 09:22:07 EDT 2004

I've got a problem that Cisco has been unable to resolve after a
number of TAC cases that have been opened. This problem has shown
itself on a 7507, 7513 as well as a 7206. I have tried numerous
IOS releases (12.1 - 12.3) with the same results.

The present router has an ATM DS3 connection to WilTel and a 45M
FastEthernet uplink to Syndox. The router runs BGP and OSPF and
servers about a dozen DS1 customers as well as a couple vlan
customers.

The problem is that once a week or so the CPU on the router spikes
and once it hits 99% it pretty much stays there until the router is
reloaded. During this time, my BGP session to WilTel has been reset
and RIB Update runs between 40% and 60% and never stablizes which
forces me to reload the router. I have heard from others that they
had cpu load issues when connected to WilTel.

If anyone has any idea what would cause these issues, any help would
be greatly appreciated. This has been going on for too long and I
am at the end of my knowledge on this one.

Best regards,
Jeff