[nsp] Cisco Cat3750 IPv6

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Apr 27 14:56:40 EDT 2004

> It it ok that you do not have counters (almost) on Cat3550
> switches, and it is well documented. It is ok for this box,
> very cheap, reliable and fast.
>
> And try not to compare L3 switch with ROUTER. ;)

"L3 switch" is a marketing term. If you use a 3550 to do forwarding
based on IP addresses you are by definition using it as a router, and
comparing it to other routers is fair game.

As a pure Ethernet-Ethernet router I think the 3550 gives reasonable
value for the money you pay. Is it worth paying considerably more to
get working SVI counters? I guess that depends on your needs.

Has anybody looked at the L3 offerings from for instance HP? The
Procurve 2600 series has static routing (even more limited then the
3550: Only static routes), but the price is also considerably better.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no