[nsp] Cisco Cat3750 IPv6

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Apr 28 08:17:47 EDT 2004

Blaz Zupan <blaz at inlimbo.org> writes:

> > We're moving all our Riverstone boxes out to the edges, where they can
> > do pure L2 and be reasonably happy.
>
> So based on this discussion I conclude that the collective wisdom is
> that L3 switches suck. Cisco sucks, Extreme sucks, Foundry sucks,
> Riverstone sucks. Is there anything else out there?

"Switches switch, routers route" -- Dave Rand

If you need a router, buy a router!  My understanding is that the
6500/7600 may be the least sucky of the lot, which isn't exactly a
resounding endorsement.

One of the hats I wear is president of a 501(c)12 non-profit ISP,
which coincidentally has an upstream provider that used to have a lot
of Riverstones in its network.  I can confirm that Riverstones are
junk.  Not only do they melt down under high flow rates as Steinar
noted, but they've been known to wedge and get into funky and
hard-to-debug states completely unbidden.

I'm sure Randy Bush would encourage his competition to use 'em.

                                        ---Rob