[nsp] Cisco Cat3750 IPv6

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Apr 28 09:07:49 EDT 2004

On 28 Apr 2004, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> "Switches switch, routers route" -- Dave Rand

How do you define a router?

Personally, for me a real router is something that does full LPM on every
packet, ie does not have some kind of "route-cache" and does hardware
assist based on the contents of the route-cache.

If the above is true, then the 3550 is a router as far as I know. Sucky
router, but still.

If deep packet buffers is a requisite then we have limited the number of
real routers greatly. These routers also come with approx 5 times as high
price tag.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se