[nsp] Cisco Cat3750 IPv6

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Apr 28 10:47:16 EDT 2004

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> writes:

> On 28 Apr 2004, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
>
> > "Switches switch, routers route" -- Dave Rand
>
> How do you define a router?
>
> Personally, for me a real router is something that does full LPM on every
> packet, ie does not have some kind of "route-cache" and does hardware
> assist based on the contents of the route-cache.
>
> If the above is true, then the 3550 is a router as far as I know. Sucky
> router, but still.
>
> If deep packet buffers is a requisite then we have limited the number of
> real routers greatly. These routers also come with approx 5 times as high
> price tag.

It's actually pretty easy.  In this case, marketing is doing us a
favor by telling us exactly what to expect once we crack the code [1].
Knowledge of the technical details, while a good thing, is not
necessary to "get it" in the general case.  These days, with very few
exceptions, things marketed by respected manufacturers as a "router"
actually are a router.  The phrase "Layer 3 Switch[ing]" is best
pronounced aloud as "Crippled Route(r|ing)".

                                        ---Rob

[1] Conspicuous counterexample is the 7600, which is a layer 3 switch
with the blades turned vertical so as to meet NEBS airflow compliance
and trick the casual observer into believing that he is looking at a
router.