[c-nsp] Linerate 100mb on 7204 NPE-225?

Andre Beck cisco-nsp at ibh.net
Tue Aug 3 08:11:49 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 09:30:52AM +0200, Mohacsi Janos wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Deepak Jain wrote:
>
> >Seconded, a lot of 7200s doing ethernet can be replaced by 3550s.
>
> Except if you need IPv6. If you need basic routing, then a
> switch with Enhanced Image can do most of thing.

That would be the place where the 3750s drop in handy. Not that I've
ever used one to route IPv6, but it's advertised ;)

Issues one should think about before doing so (either 3550 or 3750):

* TCAM too small for anything close to a full table
* Counting problems (VLAN virtual interfaces essentially only count the
  traffic that causes CEF switch paths to be installed, not the traffic
  that later follows these paths)
* NetFlow is unsupported for the same reasons (you see just a trickle
  of what's actually there)
* The "runt-bug" (802.1Q frames of 64 octets are always counted and
  signaled as runts, with the counting later patched from the software,
  but the evil amber LED is there to stay)

Then again, if you're indeed going to add an external L3 switch to a
4000 chassis, why not replace the SUP in the first place? Or, if that
is not possible (SupIV in 4003 maybe a no-no), a stack of 3750s might
well replace the 4003 altogether.

Andre.
--
                  The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-