[c-nsp] RSPAN

Roger grunky at rockriver.net
Wed Aug 4 15:17:09 EDT 2004

I'm a little confused on RSPAN and reflector ports..

I have 2 switches, switch A and B..  They are joined by a dot1q trunk,
the trunk port being fa0/1 on both switches.

I've done the following

configured a rspan vlan - verified on both switches
configured a source port on switch B - for monitoring
configured a destination port on switch A - where ids box is
configured the source destination as being the rspan vlan on Swtich A

The only thing left is configuring of the reflector port on switch B.
The problem I see is I can't configure fa0/1 on switch B to be the
reflector port - as the reflector port forwards only RSPAN traffic.  If
fa0/1 was to being the reflector I'd lose connectivity to that switch
and all customer traffic.

I'm left to say that I need to connect the switches w/ 2 seperate cables
- one going to/from each trunk port(fa0/1) and another switch port for
rspan traffic only.

Is this correct?

I'm attempting to get rspan working on a remote switch that connected
via a wireless link..  I'm at a loss as to how I'd get the RSPAN traffic
from switch B to switch A as only 1 switch port connects these devices.