[c-nsp] Number of Switches in MST+

Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN Delbert.Hudson at LOSANGELES.AF.MIL
Fri Aug 6 15:26:38 EDT 2004

agreed...6x00 boxes handle L2 nets like this scenario w/out wimpering.

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net]On Behalf Of Mikael
Abrahamsson
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 11:34 AM
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Number of Switches in MST+

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Nicolaj Ottsen wrote:

> I have heard some rumors concerning support for more than 1000 Vlans on
> the 3550 series, and support for upto 16000 vlans on the 6500. Can
> anyone confirm this rumor ? Even better supply us with at release date
> :)

Even if you could, you'd probably run into the maximum number of MAC
addresses that the 3550 can handle before you'd be able to use all those
vlans.

If you want to support a lot of simultanious vlans and a lot of L2
addresses, you need to change platforms to something other than the 3550.

Depending on the profile you choose, the MAC address limit of the 3550 is
6000-12000. This is applicable to Q-in-Q as well.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se