[c-nsp] VoIP issue with a ATA186 behind a 7206 + 2950 switch

Nate Carlson natecars at real-time.com
Tue Aug 10 12:52:25 EDT 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Nate Carlson wrote:
> Cisco 7206VXR
>   fa1/0 - 100mbit ethernet to 2950 switch
>   e2/0 - 10mbit ethernet to 2950 switch
>
> If the ATA186 is behind the 2950 on e2/0, the calls are choppy on the
> ATA186 end only. (The person on the remote end hears the person talking
> on the ATA186 fine, but on the phone connected to the ATA186, you can
> hardly hear what the POTS person is saying.) If it is behind the 2950 on
> fa1/0, it sounds perfect both directions. Both e2/0 and fa1/0 are coming
> out of the same /23 announcement to the world, so the incoming and
> outgoing path should be the same for both - looks like it's going out
> s3/2.

Just a note, I just did an additional test off another 2950 connected to
e2/1, and it works just fine there. So it's certainly an issue localized
to either e2/0 or the 2950 on that port. Any advice for testing? Could it
have something to do with the protected switchports that are enabled on
the 2950?

Thanks!