[c-nsp] Cisco VLAN configuration - total newbie

Nate Carlson natecars at real-time.com
Wed Aug 11 17:44:04 EDT 2004

Hey all,

I'm a total newbie to Cisco VLAN configuration, and mostly a newbie to
VLAN's in general. I'd like to reconfigure one of my networks so that I
have a bit more control over it; here is what the network currently looks
like:

Cisco 7206VXR
	e2/0	IP: 10.0.0.254/24, connected to a cisco 2950 switch

Cisco 2950
	vlan1: 	IP: 10.0.0.253/24
	fa0/23:	uplink to e2/2
	fa0/24:	monitor
	fa0/1-22:	customers directly connected

The customers directly connected to fa0/1-22 just use IP's out of the /24;
kind of an ugly config, since any of them can just take another person's
IP and such.

I'd like to set up what I believe is called 'VLAN Trunking', where each
individual port of the 2950 is assigned to a VLAN, and a virtual ethernet
interface is created on the 7206 with a gateway IP for them. Here is the
configuration that I tried:

7206 config:

--
interface Ethernet2/2
 ip address 10.0.0.254 255.255.255.252

2950 config:

--
interface FastEthernet0/1
 switchport mode access

interface FastEthernet0/23
 ip address 10.0.0.253 255.255.255.252
--

When I bring up the 2950, I am able to ping 10.0.0.254, but a box
connected to Fa0/1 with the IP of 10.0.0.1 is not able to ping 10.0.0.6.