[c-nsp] Cisco VLAN configuration - total newbie

Nate Carlson natecars at real-time.com
Wed Aug 11 23:54:14 EDT 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Patrick Bohannon wrote:
> I suspect that you need to designate your Fa0/23 port as trunking:
>
> int fa0/23
> switchport mode trunk
>
> .. So that it will tag your VLAN traffic to the router for you.
>
> Given what you've described, I'm not sure that you'll need to do
> anything like restricting what VLANs are allowed over that trunk, so
> unless I too am missing something, I think this will do for you.

>From other people's replies, that sounds correct - here's the config I'm
looking at right now:

7206:

interface Ethernet2/2
	no ip address
interface Ethernet2/2.1
	encapsulation dot1q 1 native
	ip address 10.0.0.254 255.255.255.252
interface Ethernet2/2.101
	encapsulation dot1Q 101
	ip address 10.0.0.6 255.255.255.248

2950:

interface FastEthernet0/1
	switchport mode access
	switchport access vlan 101
interface FastEthernet0/23
	switchport mode trunk
	switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
int vlan 1
	ip address 10.0.0.253 255.255.255.252

I've tried this with all but the encapsulation on fa0/23 - that's probably
what was biting me on my last attempt. Note that my original post was
incorrect - I was assigning the IP to vlan 1, not to fa0/23 on the 2950.

I am running 12.0(25)S on the 7206 - is that new enough to support these
features? It did not take the 'native' command after the encapsulation -
will that matter?

Thanks to the people that've replied so far!