[c-nsp] 3rd party flash again - Cisco says they won't support a switch using it.

Church, Chuck cchurch at netcogov.com
Tue Aug 17 21:04:04 EDT 2004

This is the response I got from the Partner help line.  They won't offer
any support for a switch using it.  But being involved a little with
performance car parts and such, that seems to violate the Magnuson-Moss
act, which I believe says you can't invalidate a warranty on something
with an 'aftermarket' part, unless that part is the real cause of the
problem.  So I searched, and even found a link on Kingston's own site
talking about this:
http://www.kingston.com/company/warrantyissues.asp
    I can understand them stating that for no-name brands, but Kingston
has been a top maker for years.  Can someone from Cisco on this list
maybe offer a better explanation of this?  Offline is fine.

Thanks,

Chuck Church
Lead Design Engineer
CCIE #8776, MCNE, MCSE
Netco Government Services - Design & Implementation
1210 N. Parker Rd.
Greenville, SC 29609
Home office: 864-335-9473
Cell: 703-819-3495