[c-nsp] Amount of free memory on a GSR doing BGP4? How long are 256MB ram going to last...?

Gunther Stammwitz gstammw at gmx.net
Sun Aug 22 20:54:34 EDT 2004

Hello,

I've been running IOS 12.0(26) for a long time on our Cisco GSR 12000
equippped with two GRPs (256MB each ram) and there always were between
35 and 40 megabytes of free memory. We're using BGP4 with 3 full feeds
on the router and are playing with ipv6. There are no other routing
protocols in use.

Now since we've been upgrading to 12.0(28) there are only 18 MB of free
memory left!
Looks like we're going to run into problems sooner or later... The
global routing table is steadily growing....

Does anyone know why IOS ver. 28 is using so much (more) memory?

Since we don't want to buy new GRPs we need to save some memory in order
to handel full bgp tables in the future too.
Is there anything we can do - except to filter prefixes le /23 ???

Maybe I've switched on a service that is consuming the memory during one
of my last configuration sessions and didn't notice it?
I've attached the important parts of the config.

Your feedback is being appreciated :-)

Gunther

version 12.0
no service pad