[c-nsp] Naming Conventions

Streiner, Justin streiner at stargate.net
Mon Aug 23 18:16:35 EDT 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 james at thehamptonfamily.us wrote:

> I to am in the process of developing a standard naming convention, but was
> afraid of giving away to much info when using model numbers and port IDs
> in names. Am I being to paranoid, or can a hacker who is profiling a
> company actually use this info in some way?

It depends on personal and business preferences.  I chose to strike a
balance between the amount of "useful" or "interesting" data a hostile
party could gain from doing traceroutes across my backbone and the
operational benefits to our NOC and other similar groups for having a
standardized format for the naming of networks and interfaces.  Your
choices and needs may lead you to a different conclusion.

I'd be less worried about some hostile party knowing I have a specific
model of router or switch in my network if I take sane steps to properly
secure my network.  I don't think networks that use some kind of naming
convention are generally any more or less secure than ones that don't use
any DNS names whatsoever.  That's based solely on the information that
can be learned by mining DNS records.

jms