[c-nsp] Naming Conventions

Streiner, Justin streiner at stargate.net
Tue Aug 24 09:55:55 EDT 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Mark Tinka wrote:

> > I guess our approach is to hide as much as possible but not make it
> > difficult for us to understand our own network.  The geographic naming
> > is fine too in my opinion (naming the POP's after where they are
> > located) as it doesn't tell them where in a city the equipment is
> > located or anything...
>
> This sounds good too. This is especially useful, from a customer perspective,
> when tracking what path packets will take when exiting the network,
> especially in cases where your IGP (for one reason or another) has
> reconverged with a new path.

Lots of people also have databases (could be a database, spreadsheet, text
files, etc) of some sort for storing information about their POPs and
equipment in them (Building, floor, room, rack/cage/cabinet#, access
hours, etc).  As long as you have this information stored somewhere that
you or your NOC can use it, you can be more abstract with your DNS names.

jms