[c-nsp] Replacing 7513 with 6509?

Chris Roberts croberts at bongle.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 09:31:50 EDT 2004

Heya,

I'm pretty familiar with the 7500 series, however I'm know quite little about the architecture of the 6500s. We have some 7513s currently doing straight IP connections, L3 MPLS VPNs and EoMPLS (L2VPNs) via trunked ethernet to 6500s. These 6500s have Sup1a and MSFC2s.

I'm trying to find out, but www.cisco.com gives mixed reports, whether we can upgrade these 6500s to a Native IOS code and remove the 7513s from the equation and carry on running these L3 MPLS VPNs and EoMPLS. We need to give some customers full feeds - is this a problem (what's the max memory on a Sup1a)?

How do the 6509s fare with this many features? I havn't historically been a fan of the Cisco Switch/Routers because of bugs and limited features, but I'm willing to be convinced that the 6509s could be a reasonable platform for this:-)

Any IOS recommendations aswell?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Chris.