[c-nsp] Quick rate-limit question..

James haesu at towardex.com
Thu Aug 26 02:41:39 EDT 2004

Hi folks,

I've been hearing that when CAR is applied on an interface (the rate-limit
command under interface instead of MQC command), the router searches for
rate-limit settings in a linear lookup, where large number of interfaces can
slow down the throughput.. Is this true?

I have a situation w/ an edge router that has about 100 dot1q vlan interfaces
on it and a few needs have been brought up to our attention that require
CAR on some of the interfaces.. Being a bit conservative, I'm just wondering
of the implications in the 'linear-search' effect I've been hearing about.
If that is true however, would using MQC policer be a right alternative?

Thanks!
-J

--
James Jun                                            TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
Technical Lead                        Network Design, Consulting, IT Outsourcing