[c-nsp] Quick rate-limit question..

Rafi Sadowsky rafi at meron.openu.ac.il
Thu Aug 26 03:28:27 EDT 2004

## On 2004-08-26 02:41 -0400 James typed:

J> Hi folks,
J>
J> I've been hearing that when CAR is applied on an interface (the rate-limit
J> command under interface instead of MQC command), the router searches for
J> rate-limit settings in a linear lookup, where large number of interfaces can
J> slow down the throughput.. Is this true?
J>
J> I have a situation w/ an edge router that has about 100 dot1q vlan interfaces
J> on it and a few needs have been brought up to our attention that require
J> CAR on some of the interfaces.. Being a bit conservative, I'm just wondering
J> of the implications in the 'linear-search' effect I've been hearing about.
J> If that is true however, would using MQC policer be a right alternative?

 MQC seem to be the Cisco recommendation

Quote from:
<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a00800d7276.shtml#topic2>

 Cisco recommends using the modular QoS CLI features when possible to
implement quality of service in your network. Use class-based policing
through the police command in a service policy to implement rate limiting
without buffering or queuing.
for which no new features or functionality is planned.
 Cisco will continue to support CAR for existing implementations using
this method.

--
HTH,
	Rafi