[c-nsp] 3550 VLAN interfaces

Yuval Ben-Ari yuvalba at netvision.net.il
Thu Aug 26 18:01:24 EDT 2004

if you want hosts on multiple ports to use the switch as their L3, you
must create Vlan interface,
otherwise, if you configure the L3 on a routed port ("no switchport"),
you could only have this port access this L3 address
Also note that because Vlan interface (SVI) is logical it has critical
restrictions like no support for QoS (service-policy), not sure what
else but if you plan to use some features it might very well not work on
Vlan interface.
my recommendation is to use routed ports as much as possible, it's much
cleaner and works well.