[c-nsp] 2948G replacement?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Aug 31 13:39:06 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 09:56:23AM -0700, matthew zeier wrote:
> >> That or if one host starts spewing broadcast traffic
> >> then the switch is nearly useless.
> >
> > Broadcast limiting (to some low percentage of interface bandwidth) works
> > well for us.
>
> Not familiar with that - how's that configured?

The command is "set port broadcast x/y z%", but as I just found out,
the 2948G doesn't take the command - we have set it on all CatOS switches,
but seems the 2948G doesn't support it and I have forgotten that I
couldn't set it there.

That's not so good indeed.

On the 5500 platform (and on others supporting it) you can set a
switchport to permit only some percentage (we use 1% on GE and 3% on FE)
of the interface bandwidth for broadcast packets.  If a client sends more,
the packets are dropped.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de