[c-nsp] Dot1q Interface detect switchport failure

Tay Chee Yong tcy at pacific.net.sg
Tue Aug 31 13:54:47 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I have a 7600 connecting to a Catalyst 3550, via a GE Trunk.

As i know that the sub-interface on any router will always be up, irregardless of the port status on the switch. I would like to find out if the dot1q interface on a 7600 is capable of detecting an outage on the switchport of the catalyst 3550, as i need fullfill some kind of backup routing using static routing, so that when the FE port on the switch is down, the router is capable of re-routing traffic to a secondary link. BGP is not an option here. My scenario doesn't allow me to connect the FE directly to the router also, due to the network setup.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Cheeyong