[c-nsp] VPN Solutions

Steve Francis sfrancis at fastclick.com
Wed Dec 1 10:37:02 EST 2004

While on the topic, can someone list pros/cons of a windows server based
VPN concentrator versus a VPN3000 or IOS device?

We need to set up a VPN system, and our IT department is volunteering to
do it with a windows server.
Other than being loathe to expose anything Microsoft made to the
Internet, even on ipsec and isakmp ports only, is there any reason to
not do that?
I expect that our use will be such that scalability and performance will
be OK even on a software platform like a windows server.
But is there any great security/manageability or other differentiators?
No ssl vpn for one, but that's OK.
(Given we'll be wanting to authenticate users against active directory
anyway - possibly with 2 factor authentication a bit later.)
TIA.