[c-nsp] Best ATM switch, BPX woes

Clayton Zekelman clayton at mnsi.net
Fri Dec 3 04:11:23 EST 2004

You can try shaping your PVC's before they hit the BPX. I typically run no shaping/policing in my core, and make sure all my edge devices do it first - compliance to traffic policies on the edge, no brains in the middle.

The 6400 UAC without NRP cards makes a decent ATM switch.  They're somewhat akin to a LS1010 from a configuration point of view, and since they're EOL, they're cheap.

Electrical interfaces are on the back, optical on the front - you can create PVC's between any interface, front or back.

I have a few in my network.  OC3MM interfaces are rare, so be prepared to use OC3SMI.

I never did figure out why people hate ATM so much.  We've been using it in our core for years, and its rock solid reliable.