[c-nsp] stumped by mac access-list extended resources

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Dec 6 08:18:29 EST 2004

hi,

I have some 2950t's that I've been putting MAC access-list ACL's onto.

on one 2950t-24 I have put 14 rules onto it

eg

mac access-list extended SYSTEMALLOW
 permit host xxxx.xxxx.xxxx any
 permit...

..etc for 14 hosts

on the another 'identical' switch, I get to rule 10 and IOS barfs out a
"%Error: Out of Rule Resources" when trying to process the 10th rule.

how many MAC ACLs should I be able to do on a 2950t-24 edge switch.

..and, whats more confusing is that these switches have the same configuration,
the one that is up to 14 rules without problem doesnt do any less 'work'
and the one with problems isnt doing anything special. both have same IOS
(have tried upgrading/degrading to no avail)  -  12.1(22)EA1

is there some lower-level little bit of hardware that has been improved or
reduced which may be causing this (the one with problem has a later serial number)

Alan