[c-nsp] 6509 from catos to ios

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Dec 8 10:33:37 EST 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Kim Onnel wrote:

> I'd just want directions so i would follow,
> i said that because we already have a 7609 that we are using as an
> Internet Gateway, and of course we are using alot of its features

Cisco has a document on their website that goes through the process of
converting a 6000/6500 switch from CatOS to IOS.  The URL is:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml

> i would like to do the same with the 6500, i dont know exactly its
> capabilities, but at first i wanted to know if i can upgrade it to IOS
> and how would what that be useful to me,

If you want to be able to manage your 6509 the same way you do your 7600,
then you most likely want to convert it to IOS.  If you're more
comfortable working in IOS, then that would also be another reason to
convert to IOS.

Cisco's long-term direction for the 6500 series is moving toward IOS, and
I think eventually CatOS may be phased out.

jms