[c-nsp] Need to split a port group over 2 switches

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Dec 8 18:43:44 EST 2004

--On Wednesday, December 08, 2004 18:26 -0500 Tuc <tuc at ttsg.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	First question is will this even work. Will it allow the port
> group to include a X-over to another switch.
>
> 	Second is if Switch 1, Port 2 gives up, will the others be able
> to take over for it?
>
> 	Third, is there some other issue I'm not thinking of that I
> need to?

Don't put the x-over in a separate port-group, just configure it as a trunk
between the two switches.  CAM tables will get the ethernet frames to their
destinations.  The switches don't 'team' port-groups between
switches...well except in the new 3750's I think you can, but not in any
other series.

You can also get really simple ethernet autoswitch devices.  Can't recall
any offhand.

> 		Thanks, Tuc/TTSG Internet Services, Inc.

GPG/PGP --> 0xE736BD7E 5144 6A2D 977A 6651 DFBE 1462 E351 88B9 E736 BD7E