[c-nsp] FR and QoS

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Thu Dec 9 10:02:26 EST 2004

Rodney Dunn wrote:
> The proper way to do it is like this:
>
> a) Do you need fragmentation based on the
>    speed of the PVC?  If not, then define
>    a hiearchical policy (parent to shape and
>    child to do the queueing) and attach it to
>    the PVC.

Do you mean to the PVC, DCLI or sub-interface?

interface atm x/y.z point-to-point
 pvc a/b
  vbr-nrt c b e
  service-policy out shape-and-queue

hasn't been particularly successful, although

interface atm x/y.z point-to-point
 pvc a/b
  vbr-nrt c b e
  service-policy out queue

has, taking the shaping from the pvc config.

Likewise

interface serial x/y.z
 frame-relay interface-dlci nnn
  service-policy out shape-and-queue

doesn't always work, doing the shaping via a map and applying the policy
from within the map does, at least most of the time.

What would be *very nice* would be if

interface (atm|frame) x/y.z
 service-policy out shape-and-queue
 (pvc|frame-relay interface-dlci)

worked everywhere.  It'd be consistent with each other and with the way I'm
deploying it on physical interfaces, and our provisioning tool would be able
to understand it.  However, working support for hierarchical policies seems
variable, to say the least, especially with the 7600 in the mix :(

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
                                            f: +44 20 7863 5876