[c-nsp] 6500/7600 ip cef load-sharing

Per Carlson ml at carlson.homeunix.net
Mon Dec 13 03:18:56 EST 2004

Volodymyr Yakovenko wrote:
>  Is there any way to force 6500/7600 router to perform per-packet load shring
>  on particular (VLAN) subinterface?

I don't know if it's relevant here, but we have had several TAC issues
about load-balancing on serial lines on a 7600 (Sup2/MSFC2). We are
using PA-MC-STM1 in a FlexWan as well as OSM-1CHOC12/T1. The answer was
that the architecture did not support any type (flow/packet) of
load-balancing. The only way to do it was using Mulitilink PPP, which
unfortunately is done in software :-(

I assume this is the 7600 heritage biting our asses. A 7600 is basically
a souped up Ethernet-switch, and you normally don't load-balance
Ethernet. If the capacity of a single link is not enough, go for
EtherChannel or PAgP.

Per