[c-nsp] cisco 1721 & load sharing across unequal paths.

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Mon Dec 13 11:34:19 EST 2004

Send a diagram of what you are trying to accomplish
(.jpg format) so we can see it.  There are
too many points that are not clear here to be
making design suggestions for you.

ie: Do you want load balancing or just failover?
    Which one do you want to be the primary
    etc..

There were multiple points given before but
without understanding the full topology nobody
can say for sure if any one of them should work.

You can do:
GRE with keepalives
native routing protocols
static routes with object tracking
any combination of the above...

Which one is best depends on the exact deployment
scenario.

Object tracking hooks for static routes went in
12.3(8)T or later code.  But depending on your
deployment scenario exactly you might can do
it a different way.  I don't know how you are doing
EIGRP without GRE tunnels if it's over the internet
connections.

A picture is worth a thousand emails for a problem
like this.

Rodney