[c-nsp] equivalent to 7206VXR/NPE300

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Fri Dec 17 09:47:15 EST 2004

7206 VXR / NPE300 is not what I would call a "heavy duty" router
anymore.

Although you could use other routers, its a good choice for 2 full BGP
feeds.
Especially if you anticipate any growth.

What router do you have now doing all the work?

3600's could do the job, like a 3660 since they support 256MB I
believe, but line
cards are so much more expensive, and selection more limited than a
7206.

There are probably a few of the new 2600's that can goto more memory
that could
support what you want, but I would only go there if you absolutely are
not going to
be expanding it at all.

7206 gives you redundant power which is nice, ability to upgrade CPU,
and many
port options that aren't all that expensive.

You could use a 7206 non-VXR with NPE-225, but not sure if it would
work out to be much cheaper.
You could use a 7206 non-VXR with NPE-225 as well.

Brian