[c-nsp] GEIP+ high CPU

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Dec 21 10:19:32 EST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Jeff Calvert wrote:

> I have 6 GEIP+ cards in production.  The big difference between the GEIP
> and GEIP+ is the PCI bus.  The GEIP has a single 33MHz PCI bus
> connection to the backplane.  The GEIP+ has two 33MHz PCI bus
> connections to the backplane, one for rx and one for tx.  The 800Mb/sec
> number is 400Mb/sec rx + 400Mb/sec tx.  Of course this means the real
> world limit is about 300Mb/sec in whichever direction your traffic is
> heavy.

So it sounds like a GEIP+ would have been marginally better than a 3 FE
etherchannel, but not likely worth the expense...and a GEIP would have
been a complete waste of money as it would do about FE speed at gigabit
signaling.  Why'd they even bother releasing the GEIP?  Did the first
gigabit switches not have any 100baseT capable ports?