[c-nsp] Drawbacks of Redistributing Default Route from BGP into IGP(ISIS)

Osama I Dosary oid at saudi.net.sa
Sat Dec 25 09:05:32 EST 2004

We are a service provider, and have two upstream service providers,
connecting to two different border routers (at different locations).
Each upstream SP is sending us a default route back to them. Not all our
routers speak BGP, so we need a way to send them the default route,
where if one upstream fails they get the other dynamically.
We are currently using default-originate in ISIS, but it is not dynamic.
Then we thought of using route-map condition with the default-originate,
but it didn't seem as straight forward as redistribution.

What are the drawbacks of redistributing the default route into ISIS on
the border routers?
Is there an architecturally better way to do this?

tia
/Osama

--
Osama Ibrahim Al-Dosary