[c-nsp] Catalyst 2970 and third-party SFPs

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Dec 28 03:19:05 EST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Adam Rothschild wrote:

> ...which would seem inconsistent with such a lock at a minimum, and
> possibly bordering on false advertising, if this is indeed the case.
> So, I'm hoping that's not it.

Yes, it is. Cisco has vendor locking on SFPs and Xenpaks, whereas GBICs
are free (even though I have heard rumours of ZX being locked on some
platforms).

> Anybody out there who's run into this issue before, or is otherwise in
> a position to shed some light on the situation?

I take every chance to complain to my reps regarding this. Cisco is now
pretty much alone in the business with this policy. The reason for it is
that the markup on reselling SFPs is excellent, they're making a lot of
money off of this policy.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se