[c-nsp] Catalyst 2970 and third-party SFPs

Sascha E. Pollok nsp-list at pollok.net
Tue Dec 28 03:33:37 EST 2004

Morning folks,

> > ...which would seem inconsistent with such a lock at a minimum, and
> > possibly bordering on false advertising, if this is indeed the case.
> > So, I'm hoping that's not it.
>
> Yes, it is. Cisco has vendor locking on SFPs and Xenpaks, whereas GBICs
> are free (even though I have heard rumours of ZX being locked on some
> platforms).
>
> > Anybody out there who's run into this issue before, or is otherwise in
> > a position to shed some light on the situation?
>
> I take every chance to complain to my reps regarding this. Cisco is now
> pretty much alone in the business with this policy. The reason for it is
> that the markup on reselling SFPs is excellent, they're making a lot of
> money off of this policy.

I just had a phone call with our Cisco distributor and asked them
about this since I recently ordered (not yet received) several 2970TS
with LX/LH and SX SFPs. These are made by Finisar. The distributor
claims that this is going to work. They said they tested them thoroughly
in every possible combination and they expect them to work.

I already received the SFPs. If anyone likes to compare products no's
feel free to ask.

Cheers
Sascha