[nsp] VLAN Traffic shaping not working on 6500

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Feb 3 14:31:31 EST 2004

> Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't seem to get outbound
> traffic shaping working.
> This attempting to shape about 8mbps of about traffic. I can verify this by
> adding a deny ip a.b.c.d 0.0.0.63 any' entry to the interfaces outbound ACL,
> and seeing the traffic drop off.
>
> This on a C6500/Sup2 running 12.1(20)E.

6500 with Sup2/PFC2 *cannot* do policing/shaping on outgoing traffic in
hardware - you need the Sup720 (or -3BXL) for that. Sup2/PFC2 does fine
with incoming traffic.

You should still be able to do it in software (good old fashioned CAR),
though I never tried that. Will obviously increase your processor load.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no