[nsp] VLAN Traffic shaping not working on 6500

Sam Stickland sam_ml at spacething.org
Tue Feb 3 14:57:49 EST 2004

My brain should had clicked into life and realised that the ACLs were only
incrementing for processed switched packets.

Disabling mls on the inbound and outbound vlans appears kicked it into life
(Fortunately there's not much traffic on these two VLANs, and it's only for
a few days so I can suffer the MFSC CPU running at a bit more), but there
isn't actually any decrease in the traffic rate.

'sh policy-map interface vlan 803 output' shows that it's offering a 5
minute rate of 6671000 bps which doesn't exactly tie in with the 'shape
average 520000 2080 2080' command in the policy-map.

sh policy-map interface vlan 803 output

 Vlan803

  service-policy output: OUTBOUND_PM

    class-map: xxxx (match-any)
      532335 packets, 794842311 bytes
      5 minute offered rate 6671000 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      match: access-group name xxxx_IO
        532335 packets, 794842311 bytes
        5 minute rate 6671000 bps
      queue size 0, queue limit 130
      packets output 0, packet drops 0
      tail/random drops 0, no buffer drops 0, other drops 0
      shape: cir 520000,  Bc 2080,  Be 2080
        output bytes 0, shape rate 0 bps

At least I'm getting counters now - can probably figure it out from here.

(Btw, seeing the effect this has had on my graphs reminded of something else
I've been meaning to look into - does anyone know if it's possible to graph
Null0 traffic off the supervisor card?)

Sam