[nsp] Per-packet load sharing on Eng2 LC???

Raymond, Steven steven_raymond at eli.net
Tue Feb 3 19:40:31 EST 2004

Okay, please tell me what the real implication is here:

Router#config t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)#int Serial10/0/15:0
Router(config-if)#ip load-sharing per-packet
% Warning: Engine 2 and/or 3 linecards present.
Traffic inbound on Engine 2/3 linecards will not be per-packet loadshared.

S10/0/015:0 is a customer-facing eng 0 CT3 GSR linecard 6CT3-SMB=.  The
backbone interface is an eng 2 OC48 SRP/DPT OC48/SRP-SR-SC=.  So does the
above message mean it is completely impossible to load-balance per-packet
outbound when the ingress card is eng 2/3?

What then does it do?  Per-destination load-balancing?  Hopefully I am
simply misinterpreting what IOS was kind enough to warn me about.  Otherwise
I'll be left wondering if yet again I've been bitten by a linecard/engine
rev performance/feature limitation that always seem to crop up after
deployment.