[nsp] Destination NAT

Bruce Pinsky bep at whack.org
Wed Feb 4 20:00:32 EST 2004

Gerald Krause wrote:

| I try to find a solution for some kind of proxy forcing environment with
| NAT
| like this:
|
| initial ip packet                                            generated
| ip packet
| -----------------
| -------------------
|
|                                       inside        outside
| 192.168.0.1 -> www.foo.bar(x.x.x.x)    ----- [ROUTER] -----  192.168.0.1
| -> 1.2.3.4
| 192.168.0.2 -> www.tofoo.bar(y.y.y.y)  ----- [ROUTER] -----  192.168.0.2
| -> 1.2.3.4
| 192.168.0.3 -> www.footo.bar(z.z.z.z)  ----- [ROUTER] -----  192.168.0.3
| -> 1.2.3.4
| 192.168.0.x -> ?.?.?.?                 ----- [ROUTER] -----  192.168.0.x
| -> 1.2.3.4
|

| Or maybe with double NAT:
|
| initial ip packet                      interim ip packet
| generated ip packet
| -----------------                      -----------------
| -------------------
|
|                                       inside        outside
|                                       ----- [ROUTER] -----
| 192.168.0.1 -> www.foo.bar(x.x.x.x)   loopback 0 -> (x.x.x.x)   loopback
| 0 -> 1.2.3.4
| 192.168.0.2 -> www.tofoo.bar(y.y.y.y) loopback 0 -> (y.y.y.y)   loopback
| 0 -> 1.2.3.4
|

| My first thought was about creating two NAT statements...
|
| 1) 192.168.0.x -> loopback 0 overload
| 2) loobback 0 -> 1.2.3.4
|
| ...but after some tests I realize that this won't work.
|
| I have search a lot of cisco doc's for such a "fixed destination address
| translation"
| without success. Have someone out there an idea? Or is this really a
| very bad way?

Do you actually need to NAT the inside source address from the 192 address
to something global?  If not, then couldn't you just route everything
through the proxy rather than trying to translate the destination address?

Or route through the proxy and do NAT on the opposite side of the proxy.

- --
=========
bep