[nsp] Effective bandwidth in Frame Relay

Bob Tinkelman bob at tink.com
Wed Feb 4 12:04:18 EST 2004

> I thought at one time that only Cisco LMI type provided the CIR
> in the updates.  When I deal with Verizon, they usually ask what
> LMI type you want to use, so I ask for cisco just for this reason.

My experience with this is a bit old, but I recall we always
got this information with Bell Atlantic New Jersey (now Verizon)
but never with NYNEX (later Verizon also).  This was with cisco
LMI and through several generations of switches with each carrier.
My memory with the other f/r carriers we dealt with is a bit vague,
but I think the situation was also mixed with other carriers --
"yes" from SNET and Bell PA; "no" from NYNEX-MA and maybe also
from Intermedia (later EMI), though I'm really not sure of that.

I'd tried talking to the NYNEX NY product management folk. At the
time, we were a relatively big customer of theirs (emphasis on
"relative" :-)   I was never able to figure out if they had their
switches misconfigured on purpose, or if there was some consious
policy decision involved.  It might have been historical, as their
first implementation of f/r (on their Nortel switches) was very
primitive, without the ability to set CIR less than port speed.
--
Bob Tinkelman <bob at tink.com>
ISPnet, Inc.    718.464.4747