[nsp] 6509 + MFSC2 + CAR ?

Richard J. Sears rsears at adnc.com
Wed Feb 4 13:28:27 EST 2004

Hello Everyone,

I have spent a bunch of time reading all the entries I could find pertaining
to 6509's and CAR. Several people have claimed to
get it working:

***snip***

...but I know a number of people who use 6500s+MSFCs solely for the
purpose of utilizing CAR to traffic-shape their customers
and they're all quite pleased.

***snip***

and yet other claim Cisco told them it would not work at all due to
the PFC.

I am looking for someone who can tell me if CAR will work on 6509's
and if they have it working, exactly how they got it to work. I see
some references to policers on the PFC as a work around, and would
like more information on that if someone has it.

Here is my config that I am trying to make work:

(CEF is enabled on the port and on the switch)

interface FastEthernet3/5
 description Connection to Chris's Office Linux Box
 ip address 10.10.50.1 255.255.255.252
 rate-limit input 1000000 50000 50000 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop
 rate-limit output 1000000 50000 50000 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop
 load-interval 30
 no cdp enable

Hence to say, that I can merrily download via ftp from that box at 10
to 15mbps all day long and a sh int rate-limit does not show any hits.

My goal is to rate-limit colo customers attached to our 6509 switches,
and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Our 6509's are configured with Sup1A w/MFSC2s and 256MB RAM each. We are
running IOS only on the 6509's (no Cat Code).

My goal is to rate limit my colo customers both inbound and outbound so
they cannot use more bandwidth then they want and hence not get a huge
bill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Richard J. Sears
Vice President
American Digital Network
rsears at adnc.com
http://www.adnc.com
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."