[nsp] 6509 + MFSC2 + CAR ?

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Wed Feb 4 14:36:40 EST 2004

Definitive Answer:

#1 Don't use "rate-limit" command it only effects traffic that is switched
by the MSFC, and for Sup2 and Sup720 that should be
just about nothing. In latter release it has finally been removed to stop
confusion. It works if you make your traffic get switched by the MSFC and
that it not a something you want to do.

#2 Sup2 only supports input policing. Configure this feature though the
modular qos cli (MQC) like this:

class a1
   match access-group 100
policy-map test
   class a1
      police 10000000 312500 312500 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

int fast 3/1
   service-poicy input test

#3 Sup720 supports input policing and output policing per vlan or per
logical / physical interface

#4 Shaping is only supported upon the WAN modules. FlexWAN and Enhanced
FlexWAN supports shaping, OSM modules support Shaping on the interfaces
that are connected to the PXF processors. All QoS for the WAN interfaces
must be configured by the MQC (aka using class and policy maps).

Ian