[nsp] Suggestions on terminating a bunch of T1's

Jeff Chan cisco-nsp at jeffchan.com
Wed Feb 4 17:18:58 EST 2004

Hello Jim,
We found that some "creative renegotiation" with the telco
successfully altered their pricing for delivering on CT3.
We put it "in their minds" that other telcos offer reasonably
priced CT3 all the time (YMMV in your tariff area), and
that maintenance and costs for delivery on a bigger pipe was
better for everyone, including them.

On the other hand were were dealing directly with LECs who
presumably owned the switches the T1s were coming out of
and so had access to delivery of bigger pipes.  In other
words it wasn't so much a matter of multiplexing our lines
onto a DS3 as much as *not* demultiplexing them onto DS1 local
loops.  Perhaps if you can get your telco mavens to talk far
enough into the telco network, they can speak to whoever
can deliver bigger pipes in the first place and everyone
will be happy.  :)  In other words, can you catch the lines
before they turn into 4 pair wires?

Jeff C.
__