[nsp] Suggestions on terminating a bunch of T1's

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Feb 5 00:14:46 EST 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Lars Erik Gullerud wrote:

> However, if used equpiment is an option I'd rather look at finding a
> cheap 7513 chassis and VIPs which should be easy these days - you should
> be able to stuff 20 PA-MC-2T3+ cards (i.e. 1120 T1's) in there and
> still have two PA bays (or a single GEIP+ card) available for uplinks.

I suggested this in my previous email, but deleted the 7513 part before
sending it.  Problems with this many T1's in a single 7513 chassis:

1) I suspect the IDB limit will become an issue.
2) If you don't want to oversubscribe the uplink, you're going to need
multiple GEIP+'s.
3) You're going to be getting close to the published bus throughput
limits, and we all know how realistic cisco performance numbers are...so
in reality, the box probably wouldn't handle the traffic if all the T1's
got busy at the same time.
4) All the customers (instead of just a large number) unhappy when the
router "has issues".

The smaller number of interface slots in the 7507 (but same bus specs) is
built-in prevention from the temptation to wildly overload the chassis.