[nsp] Suggestions on terminating a bunch of T1's

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Thu Feb 5 08:13:02 EST 2004

On Feb 4, 2004, at 10:47 PM, Terry Baranski wrote:

>> The 15454 is just a circuit aggregator/WDM node, it has no IP
>> routing intelligence built in as I understand it.  You could
>> pipe these out the back of the 15454 as channelized OC12s, but
>> as you state below, that can be expensive.
>
> IP routing blades for the 15454 came out fairly recently:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2006/
> products_data_shee
> t09186a00801136f8.html.  Layer-2 Ethernet blades are also available.

The ML series card are basically 3550 switches with 2 POS interfaces.
You cannot terminate a T1 on them. You can link them together by
attaching STS-n to the POS interfaces to make a packet ring over the
SONET.  What he needs is a cost effective way to terminate the HDLC
frames from 1100 DS-1s.  The Seranoa WANPort (www.seranoa.com) does
that.  You could use the 454 with DS3-12 cards to eat up a bunch of M13
generated ChDS3 and feed them out an OC-12 port into a ChOC-12 card on
a 7600, GSR or 10k.   The 15454-DS3-12 card can only handle STS sized
chunks, if you need VT grooming inside the 454 chassis you'll need to
use the DS3XM-6 card.

-Matt