[nsp] Dial-Backup for PPPoE-Dialer?

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Thu Feb 12 11:00:11 EST 2004

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 02:39:04PM -0000, Tim Franklin wrote:
>> RIP to the 836, even if it's only announcing a default route, a
>> high-metric static default out of the ISDN, and dialer-watch?
>
> Would YOU talk RIP to Joe Random DSL customer?

Talk, yes.  Listen?

Also, it's not obvious in Gert's scenario if he owns both ends.  If it's a managed-router service and he's running the ISP and the CPE, this is a non-issue.

> If dynamic, then privAS BGP... then you can at least properly filter
> and protect your network from gone-crazy customers. :-)

BGP on 8xx, if I remember correctly, is both recent and requiring of a fairly hefty-footprint image.  RIP, for all its other faults, is simple and ubiquitous.

Regards,
Tim.

--
Tim Franklin          ____________
Project Engineer      \C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering &