[nsp] Multicasting

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Thu Feb 12 11:37:32 EST 2004

Not really. All 6500 sups as well as the 3550 support IGMP snooping in hardware. It is enabled by default. CGMP is not required (nor are the "switch" side functions even implemented), unless you have legacy boxes that don't do IGMP snooping, in which case you need the CGMP "router" side functions enabled, ie, "ip cgmp" under your VLAN/L3 interface(s).

I see you are planning to do disk imaging, this is presumably with "norton ghost" or a similiar app. Please do be careful of issues with multicast traffic with TTL=1 hitting your 6500s or other downstream routers, this will cause high CPU. Latest versions of Ghost have a knob to tweak the TTL of the imaging data packets, I recommend finding & tweaking that knob.

Tim

At 05:22 AM 2/12/2004, cisco-nsp-request at puck.nether.net proclaimed:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759